Wednesday, June 27, 2012

10 Pretty Darn Cool Kamen Rider Costume Designs

So yeah, I'm not a fan of Top 10s. Likely because I've never seen a single top 10 or top anything that I've agreed with, likely because the concept of a top list is a very objective concept. I'm more of a subjective person. Still, when writers are lazy, they make top 10s, and I feel kind of lazy and just wanna crank something out, but I wanna keep my principles, so here are 10 designs, in no particular order, of some of my favourite Kamen Rider costume designs. 


The First/The Next Riders 1 and 2
Technically 4 costumes, but c'mon, the difference is in a few cracks on the helmet, colours, and shoulder pads. Gun to my head, I'll probably swing for The First Rider 2 of the four because I just love that uncanny green colour. The First and The Next both tried to give a somewhat more realistic approach to the whole Kamen Rider thing, which is why it's somewhat polarizing to the most hardcore fans. Whether you like it or not, I still think these guys are the first superheroes that look good in leather and still look like superheroes.


Kamen Rider Kiva
When it comes to Rider designs, I think the biggest deciding factor for me is the colours. Shape and detail are important too, but the right colour on the costume means a world of difference. Kiva gets the colours so incredibly right. Everything is so muted, even the gold trim on the belt, except those brilliantly bright eyes.


Kamen Rider Dark Kiva/Kiva Emperor Form
On the flipside of base form Kiva, we've got Dark Kiva and Kiva Emperor form. Again, gun to my head, I'd choose Dark Kiva, but in all the ways opposite that I love base form Kiva. Dark Kiva and Kiva Emperor both cast aside the dull muted colours infavour of bright, royal colours. These two designs truly live up to the title 'King of the Vampires.'


Kamen Rider Rising Ixa
Yup three(technically four) Kiva Riders. Should probably mention that Kiva is my favourite Rider series. I like the vanilla Ixa and the '86 Ixa well enough, but there's something about the raw techno design out of Rising Ixa that makes me love it so much more. I don't even care that it transforms with a cellphone, which is usually a dealbreaker for me, which is why there is a noticable absense of Faiz here.


Kamen Rider Wizard
I know nothing of this character outside of what he looks like. His show is months away and we've yet to even see him on the screen since Fourze's movie isn't out yet, but I don't really care. It's not even just that he's got a trench coat, it's the sleek black, dulled silver, and blazing shiny red that make this whole design pop. I was so ready to see something right out of Hogwarts and then bam, I see this guy. Also, I want those rings.


Kamen Rider Skull
So yeah, people love this guy. He shows up for less than 3 hours combined, most of that not even in the actual suit, and he's probably one of the most popular Kamen Riders. It might have to do with the hat, or the scarf, or that kids dig the skull motif. For me, it's the minamalist design. Matte black, dull silver, white cloth, it's a simplicity that's not often seen in these kind of designs.


Kamen Rider OOO Super TaToBa
And in reverse of Skull, people hate the shit out of Super TaToBa. Me? I dig the suit. Shiny colourful spandex? I'm down with that. I like that it kind of reminds me of taffy, or that it's much more obviously a stop light. It's kind of goofy, but that's part of the game when it comes to these designs. Minamalist is nice, but extravagant is good too. It also helps to see OOO get a final form.


Kamen Rider Yuuki
I'm not even that big of a fan of Kamen Rider Den-O, but I gotta tell you, I love the hell out of Yuuki. As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad they destroyed the Gaoh costume to make Yuuki. For one, he wears the zipper better than Gaoh, and for another, he's got a scarf. Kind of. It saddens me to know that I'd never be able to find a SH Figuarts of this guy for less than 7000 Yen(Aprox. $90).


Kamen Rider Hibiki
No henshin belt. No bug eyes. No antenne. Very little kicking. Yet this guy is a Rider and Shadow Moon isn't. That's one of the main reasons I love Hibiki so much. He does his own thing, he's not just another karate justice kicker. I don't mind all those things that most Riders have, but does Fourze need bug eyes and antenne when it's based off of a space shuttle?


Kamen Rider Super-1
You didn't think I'd keep this only within the past 10 years did you? It's true, I'm more of a fan of the modern Riders, but there's something about Super-1 that I just love. It might be the hand changing thing, I dunno, but he's defintley my favourite of the Showa Riders design wise. A simplistic, but also somewhat modern design. Honestly, you could have told me this thing was made for Kamen Rider Kuuga, and I'd have believed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment