Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Under the Net #18


Under the Net with Jake Estrada

Mucho Man


Welcome to the 18th edition of Under the Net.  

Hey everyone, welcome to another edition of Under the Net. This is Spanish title known as Mucho Man. I was scoping out the net looking for hidden gems and came upon this title. Here is my review.

I will be rating the elements of the book on a scale of one through five.

One is poor, two is mediocre, three is fair, four is good, and five is excellent.

The Art

The art was very nice. I liked how the comic was drawn; it had all kinds of crazy things thrown in for good measure that gave me a 1970’s comic vibe. The comic is in black and white. We get the exploits of many characters in the comic, and it was wonderfully put together artistically. The use of spreads was nice. They had a clear understanding of panel dynamics. 






ART: 4 STARS

The Writing

The story at times flowed nicely, but at some points, it dragged. The story opens with the El Pistolero. He has a very huge hat, fires guns, and is considered Mexico’s first and greatest hero. As I said, at times it flows nicely and other times I had to force myself to read the story. The action picks up some and eventually he is presumed dead.



 When we get to the brunt of the story, we soon get to a wrestling match, and I did lose interest in the story at this point. I had to push myself to read the comic further to give it a proper review.

Then we were introduced to Mucho man, and saw him punching fish. Fish were instantly dying, and it gave me this huge wtf moment as I busted out laughing reading these panels. I was like, “Oh man, this is so much like a bad 1970’s Santos movie!” as our masked hero went to town with killer fish from outer space or some other crazy idea. I was like, “This is nuts!” I kept pushing forward.

Then, Fish Man appears, throws some sharks and other things, and that issue ends.

I have to say that the writing is okay. It gives us a basic story, but I felt like maybe we needed to be introduced to Mucho Man sooner, and he should have been fighting the fish a heck of a lot faster. But, I give the crew my props. Keep writing your crazy tales. We need more comics that go out on the limb like this sometimes. J 

WRITING: 3 STARS

Originality

The series is based in Mexico. It is great to see a different setting and the use classical-type characters such as Mexicans and wrestlers to be heroes. It has that 1970’s vibe and certain B’ness to it. It comes from a source of comics I haven’t seen a while. It also reminds me of other classic hero comics. I love the fact that it has an ethnic cast, and it plays with its stereotypes well.

ORIGINALITY: 3 STARS

The Pros

The art is nicely done. The visuals are great, and it flows very well. You can see that a lot of work has been put into this comic to give it a very professional, polished look. The effects work great and each page illustration adds to the layer of the comic. With no dialogue, it flows well.

The Cons

With the dialogue, it gets bogged down. It slows it down, and it makes it a long, boring read at times. If you can get past some of the scenes and get to the ultimate fighting fish fight, you will laugh at least. Now, that’s if you can get past the wrestling match. I think many people may just not get past it, and it would be a shame. I would tell my readers to check it out and give it a chance, at least for the fighting fish part.



My Final Word

If you want 1970’s masked wrestlers who will kick your door down and kill your living fish, then read this comic!!

To read the first issue go here:  


Enjoy folks!

Jake Estrada

Email me at estradajake@yahoo.com for website/story suggestions. Thanks.

Jake Estrada is a published author who holds degrees in Multimedia Design and Criminal Justice. He is a father to three wonderful children and married to his beautiful wife, Beth. You can find his comics at http://graphicly.com/estrada-media and other fine online stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment