Saturday, October 6, 2012

Impressions : new Lone Ranger

Thanks to Brian Clendening of LaidBackComics for letting me know about the trailer being out. (Shows how how connected I am to current events...) You can watch the trailer here

Article by Jeremias de Leon
For those too young and never watched the show 
Directed by Gore Verbinski, and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, The Lone Ranger stars Armie Hammer as John Reid/The Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp as Tonto. The trailer starts off with some talk about how the train and how it has changed traveling. The narration in the trailer sets the mood that this is more serious in tone than the original tv series and then we see some western staples like a train robbery, guns, and horses. We also see a tough looking Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer.

So what did I think of the trailer? It certainly seems to veer away from the mood and tone of the original, while it's only a trailer and trailers can lie I don't really see why The Lone Ranger needs to be gritty. I do understand for a modern movie it can't be a cut, copy and past of the t.v series but it can still be retooled while being more lighthearted. Actually, I did read in an article on E! Online that there will be comedy, but the trailer sure didn't focus on any of it.

That isn't to say I'm not intrigued by the movie though, for one Native Americans like Tonto are portrayed with much more respect and less stereotypically and the action looks like it's going to be great, and pretty intense. Plus I believe Gore Verbinski won't do a bad job directing as he can direct a film that has comedy and action blends.

The trailer has me interested in the movie and the action scenes look great but as of right now I'm not excited for it. Honestly it is a good trailer edited really well and does a good job of building hype, just some things about don't really scream The Lone Ranger so much as "action western movie". I wanted to see more things in it that really let you know that this movie is about The Lone Ranger and not any other cowboy.

Plus I didn't get to hear "hi ho silver away" and I was waiting the whole trailer to hear that. T_T 

Want to suggest what I review or write about? Or just want to know my quick thoughts on things? Follow me on twitter @ikariradio

Listen to my podcast The Ikaricast on iTunes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment