Wednesday, November 14, 2012

CoW: Cover of the Week 11/14/12

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
by Darryll B. Carter

I've had the original film version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo siting in my Netflix queue for as long as I've had the damn thing. I always look at them, intrigued by the film covers and the feelings they evoke; shadows, sex, flames and anarchy. But ultimately I've never managed to make that confirming click of the mouse or push of the 'A' button. Then I found out they were turning the famed film into a graphic novel. I figured that would be easier to sink into, which directly brings us to the cover of the week.

The shadow work on this cover is flawless. It totally captures the mood and her anatomy It's really enticing. I love the smoke too. It was a good creative choice and does more than just look fantastic. It's clearly symbolic; a reflection of her character and similar to a dragon's fire.

I have to say though, the line work is my favorite part of this piece; particularly on the chain and her hand. Especially that hand... those of you who are artist know that hands can be a #$@!. And that one is damn impressive.



No comments:

Post a Comment