Saturday, February 16, 2013

Show Me Love - Robyn



Show Me Love – Robyn


 ((I'm sorry I know it's the end of week 3 of February but I had this done before I got sick and now I'm behind on the reviews. I'm still uploading them anyway.))




Week number 2 of February has come to an end and I have another review for the month dedicated to love. Its from the decade of awesome, more towards the end of the decade. 1997 saw rise of Robyn in the music consciousness with her song Show Me Love,” from her album “Robyn is here." I can honestly say time has changed my opinion of this song, (as well as the next review's song.) It changed my opinion because I found it highly annoying but then again when it came out I was four. I have a different appreciation for it now, not just in the way of nostalgia but understanding. 





Robyn is a Swedish pop singer; she gained fame in Sweden and Europe before finding success in America. “Show Me Love” is her fourth Swedish single, third UK single, and second US single. It should be noted there’s another song called “Show Me Love” by another singer known as ‘Robin’ (Robin S released a song in 1993 called "Show Me Love" but it is not related to Robyn’s song.)


In Sweden this song peaked at 14 in the US it peaked at number 7 and in the UK it peaked at number eight. It received a Gold certification in December of 1997 from the RIAA and remains her last charting single on Hot 100 (as of 2013.)
 
“Show Me Love” is featured on Sabrina the Teenage Witch TV series and a 1998 Swedish film originally titled Fucking Åmål (renamed Show Me Love” for American audiences. It has since been re-recorded for a special edition of Robyn’s eponymous album. She also has a song called “Dancing on My Own” which to me seems pretty popular, but I don't particularly care for it. It's good don't get me wrong I just don't like it. 

Robyn has won awards at Swedish Grammies and been nominated for American Grammy’s since the 90’s. She was also nominated for Worlds Best Entertainer of the Year for the World Music Awards. Robyn has released 5 studio albums two mini albums and a mix of compilations and EPs.

Now for the song itself, “Show Me Love” is a great song about a strong woman not willing to settle for a half-assed relationship. At least that’s what I take out of listening to the song. It has a good sound the lyrics are really what make this song work the music is just there to be there. Robyn’s voice sells the song. There was a time when female singers were actually respectable. She’s from that time and is still around today releasing hits and being awesome.

Verse 1:
Yeah, yeah, yeah...
Always been told that I've got too much pride
Too independent to have you by my side
But my heart said all of you will see
Just won't live for someone until he'll live for me”

You know what bothers me? People who try to judge other people’s relationships by telling the woman they’re too this or too that for a relationship. Stay out of people’s relationships or if you have nothing better to do, sit back and watch your criticisms fail miserably. If it’s meant to work it will work because she knows what her heart wants.

Verse 2:
“Never thought I would find love so sweet
Never thought I would meet someone like you
Well now I've found you and I'll tell you no lie
This love I've got for you
Could take me 'round the world”

The sweet realization that you finally found the right person it’s a great feeling and one that for some they spend their whole life waiting to feel.
Even if it’s not the right one, the feeling that you could be with a person for a long time is a great feeling. Like you might not get married, but the relationship might be a long one, I don’t know how to describe it but it’s an awesome feeling.

Chorus:
Now show me love
Show me love, show me life
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright”

Redefining your definition of love because maybe it differed from the relationship you have (in a good way that is.) Maybe she was too high maintenance or maybe she never had a great relationship before and now this guy’s going to help her learn what love is.

Verse Three:
“Don't waste this love I wanna give it to you
Tell me what you got, show me what you can do
Show me love, show me everything
I know you've got potential
So baby let me in and show me love”

Oh okay so it’s not a redefining of love, it’s show me how you’re going to love me situation. It’s a hey you’ve got me now don’t use me or mistreat me, show me you’re worth keeping around. I like that in a song we need more of these types of songs.

Chorus:
“So baby let me in and show me love
Show me love, show me life (alright)
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the only one that I ever needed (show me love)
Show me love and what it's all about, alright
Show me love, show me life
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright
Show me love baby
Show me everything you've got and show me life
Show me love baby
Show me everything and what it's all about
You're the one, the only one I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright”

I just love the chorus. It’s like one of the perfect choruses in the history of perfect choruses. That I just decided existed. There may not be an official ‘History of Perfect Choruses’ but damn it I can pretend there is one.

Verse Four:
“I'll love you
I'll miss you
I'll make sure
Everything will be alright
I'll give you my heart if you just give me love
Every day and every night.”

[Chorus]
“Show me love, show me life (alright)
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright
Show me love, show me life (alright)
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright”

There’s a music video for “Show me love but it’s rather bland and nothing reviewable happens. There’s a bunch of random people dancing around or making out behind Robyn in a white room. There’s also some dude on a bicycle. It switches between black and white and in color. Overall a simple love song but a much appreciated one “Show Me Love” might be lost in musical history but I will always remember it fondly. I hope Robyn Carlsson has a long and successful music career because she deserves it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment