Friday, June 21, 2013

Comic News: Atlas Comics of Norridge, IL Closing Their Doors After 25 Years

TO OUR CUSTOMERS & FRIENDS: YOU ARE ALL CORDIALLY INVITED TO SHARE WITH US A VERY SPECIAL EVENT AT OUR SITE OF OPERATIONS ONE LAST TIME.  JOIN US TO OUR ATLAS GOING AWAY PARTY ON JUNE 29th, 2013.

After 30 great years in the comic book business, the last 25 of those have been at Atlas Comics but it is time for me to call it quits. I have no regrets, recriminations or disappointments. On the contrary, comic books have been amazingly good to me. They have afforded me the opportunity to not only work with what I love and enjoy but also work without a boss sitting over my head.


This business has not only allowed me to purchase my own home but it has allowed me the freedom and the opportunity to travel around the world. These travels proved to me the incredible power of comic books. I’ve seen massive pop culture stores like in Barcelona, Spain.  I’ve seen small children wearing Spider-Man T-shirts in the remote villages of Thailand, an Iron Man cap on the head of a middle aged farmer in rural Peru and action figures being sold at a tiny roadside stand in central Turkey.  And let’s not forget the main shopping district of Shanghai, China where there is a store solely devoted to knock-off Superman memorabilia. In all these places and many others I met so many interesting people who love comics and have envied the opportunity I’ve had in enjoying the freedom and the fun that came with my job. From the bottom of my heart I thank you!  This Thank You goes out to all our great customers and friends who have made Atlas Comics such a long lasting success.

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 will be our last day of business in this location. It will be the final blow out of our current liquidation sale along with a going away celebration for the sheer fun of 25 years of comics. I’d like to invite everyone, old and new, to come out and have some food, have some conversation and good laughs.  This will take place from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm, at the venerable old institution at 4735 N. Cumberland Street in Norridge.

Let’s try for the unalloyed enjoyment of those riotous, primary colored Captain America adventures of the Golden Age, or the static electricity of Kirby Krackle hanging in the air. And before night’s end, we’ll raise a toast to the people who actually made it all possible: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Will Eisner, Jerry Seigel, Joe Shuster, Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson, Bill Finger, Joe Simon, Max and Bill Gaines, Wally Wood, Steve Ditko, and all the others who created the joy we’ve immersed ourselves in lo, these many years.

Despair not, for although our onsite location will be closing, Atlas Comic will live on!  We will continue to sell vintage comics online, well into the future. You can continue to reach us at the same phone number (708) 453-2110, email address (atlas@acomics.com), and let’s not forget we can also be found on EBay under “atlascomics”.

Thanks for the ride and I’m looking forward to seeing you all on June 29th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment