Tuesday, July 19, 2011

#17 DEATH OF SPIDERMAN: R.I.P TO THE ULTIMATE ICON

ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN
Issues 156-160
Story (arc) Name: Death of Spider-man
Written by Brian Michael Bendis with art by Mark Bagley
Marvel Comics


So I’m walking out of a comic shop when something shocking catches my eye; a flyer that reads Death of Spider-man on the back a complete reading list. No way was I missing this storyline. I’m a huge Spidey fan always have been although this was in the Ultimate universe, I knew this was an iconic event not to be missed
.
           Spider-man is deemed unsafe to practice super heroism without training. So the Ultimates are all chipping in to help train him. While this is going on, there is a traitor in S.H.I.E.L.D. and fingers are being pointed at both former director Nick Fury and current director Carol Danvers as more and more unauthorized super powered beings are popping up all over the world causing political uprisings. Each with their own team of supers, they get into a war of sorts in which Punisher attempts to take out Captain America’s kneecaps but Spidey takes the bullet for him straight through his back and out his gut. As the war wages on Pete sees the Sinister Six headed for his house so he swings off to spend his final moments protecting his friends and family. And if I may say so he went out in a blaze of glory.

   What can I say about this EPIC, HISTORIC event? For one, it was unexpected. I mean, its Spider-man and Ultimate Spider-man at that; meaning he’s only 16 so his death kind of hit me like an atom bomb (or a blast from the Shocker). Definitely a great build up. There was action throughout and his final fight, in my opinion, possibly the greatest show of just why Spider-man is awesome. The many different elements in the story kept me engrossed and I just couldn’t wait for the next issue. One thing I was kind of iffy about was the prelude not too sure how it fit whereas the follow up Ultimate Fallout: Spider-man No More; (which I will also review) picks right up where DOSM leaves off. While I am upset about the death of such a beloved character, I must say his death made for one hell of a read and from the looks of things many more to come with yet another relaunch of the Ultimate universe and a mysterious new Spidey taking Pete’s place Marvel is certainly looking out for us. And as long as they keep writing them, I’ll keep reading and reviewing them here on Comic Book Clash. So this has been Hector Ramirez, until next time friends keep clashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment