Saturday, August 25, 2012

Editorial: "Why the Legend of Zelda Series needs to mature"

Editorial: "Why the Legend of Zelda Series need to mature"


Author/Editor: Jeff Williams



Hello. my name is Jeff Williams and I'm one of the many reviewers here on the broken infinite. Recently, I've been wanting to talk about the issues I have with the Zelda series and here they are.....



First off, when I use the word "Mature". I don't mean Nintendo needs to make a M rated zelda game with blood, gore, swearing and boobs....Boobs as far as eye can see.

No, When I mean that the Zelda series is in need of maturing. I mean it with it's gameplay, it's interface,  and it's storytelling.


When it comes to it's gameplay and user interface (UI), while I love the 1998 Nintendo 64 classic, Ocarina of Time. that game show one of the series' many problems. They've been using the same structure, the same game mechanics, the same layout "since the NES original" (exploring a dungeon, defeating a boss in said dungeon, destroying Gan.. Ganondo..... "Baddie of the Week" and saving Princess Zelda) since the aforementioned N64/3DS title.


While the layout doesn't bother me and it can be improved in future titles. The other things that make the gameplay "a Zelda title" is starting to become stall. My solution would be as followed....


Like how us gamers were inspired to become game designers or go into the video game industry, thanks to the many games that came from Japan during the late 80's/90's era of gaming (the 8-bit/16-bit console cycles).  I think it's time for Eastern developers to be inspired by some of our games. When I mean that, I'm not saying that Capcom should be inspired by Call of Duty to create the next installment in the Resident Evil franchise, Resident Evil 6. I mean that would be stupid and would probably kill the ser...... Wait, they're not joking O_O.

Anyways, on a serious note...  for the next Zelda game being developed for it's HD console debut, Zelda Wii U. I think it would be best that the developer of the series, Nintendo EAD* would take a look at some of the popular action/adventure/RPG games here in the states, themselves (EAD) taking a look at what they've been doing and accomplished since 1998 and take some aspects that worked in other games and try to come up with an experience that would entice Zelda fans once more. The best example I can give is taking a look at the game mechanics and design of the Darksiders series done by developer Vigil Games and published by THQ.


The other problem is in it's storytelling. To be fair, I've been personally feeling bad for the Nintendo EAD team since 1992's Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The reason why I'm saying this is this was the game that the developer started to make the story more complex. With this and the installments that followed, they really shot themselves in the foot. Now, I know, I know. It's been said for years that people really don't play the Zelda games just for it's story. While to some degree, It maybe true. Nevertheless, a story/character development is a big concept when it comes to game design.

I applaude Nintendo for the character development that happend in last year's Skyward Sword because it does show that they do listen to it's fanbase's concerns and are trying to break the set characterizations of the main characters, but I would like to see them go further....

Like how Link is the "all-around" good guy and Ganon/Ganondorf is the "all-around" bad guy, I would like to see Nintendo press forward in these characters. Unlike having Link (or any Zelda fan would do: "insert name here") being the infallible hero, make him more relatable. Make the player feel for Link. What is his purpose? Why does he want to save Zelda?.


Pride?....

Greed?...

Love?...


The same thing goes with the series' main antagonist Ganon. Why does he kidnapped Zelda and steal the Trifore of Power? Is there more to what we've know since 1987? Is it even the typical Villain complex "To take over the world"? Or is it something far more sinister? It's funny that I'm mentioning this character because they made the player feel sympathy for Ganon at the end of 2003's Wind Waker.


While I did bring up my problems with the Zelda franchise. The Question is as followed.... "Do I faith in Nintendo that they'll improve with future Zelda titles?" Majority of today's gamers would say no and that they're just a company for little children and bash on them continuously for no reason. I, however would say yes, yes I do. Because I've realize that while they've been innovative in the industry with their hardware and pulling this nostalgia card with their software in recent years. They have shown they're longtime fans, Wii/DS era fans and "casual gamers" that with their upcoming console, The Wii U. They showing what they learned from their mistakes with the Wii and are improving on it for today's consumer.

In other words, they do take their criticism to heart and try to improve on it. But in the future Nintendo, when one of your crazed die-hard "fanboy(s)" said that they won't buy one of your games or consoles because it's different. Please don't listen to them, listen to what you you, the developers, the actual backbone of the company would do to not only make it  work but also evolve the gaming industry for future generations.



                                                                                    From a Nintendo fan since 1992,
                                                                                                 Jeff "16bitjeff" Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment