Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Under the Net #21


Under the Net with Jake Estrada
Zero Hunters

Welcome to the 21st edition of Under the Net. 

Cover


I will be rating the elements of the book on a scale of one through five.

One is poor, two is mediocre, three is fair, four is good, and five is excellent.



Hey folks, I hope everyone is well. Welcome to the latest edition of Under the Net. My goal here at Under the Net is to find stories that no one has read, be it a digital or web comic. Here is my latest weekly update. I found a great title called Zero Hunters # 1.

Page 1


The Art

Artist Marc Borstel provides the cover and interior page art. The art is done in color, and the art is quite nice. I enjoyed the page layouts and the flow of the art. Everything is rendered nicely, and there is a great smooth reading flow.  It’s not very hard to follow the story. I enjoyed it, and I thought I would help bring people into the story.

ART: 4 STARS

Page 2


The Writing

The story opened up with a normal run-for-your-money vampire story. It was set in the future, but it had typical trappings where the guy is hunting the vampires for revenge. This revenge stemmed from the fact the lead hero, Garrick, lost his family to the evil Dravald and company. No one wants to partner with Garrick because he is a loose cannon and on a collision course to utter destruction.

 The story opens up and gives us a flashback to how he lost his family. Then we are given the full story of why Garrick hates Dravald so badly, but we are given some extra icing on the cake. We see that the hero has been reincarnated. Each generation, he returns and fights the evil Dravald and loses over and over. At first, I thought it was interesting. Then I got to thinking as the story progressed. What if this guy wasn’t reincarnated at all, but Dravald put those thoughts into his head, since Dravald claimed he was bored with life? I think I would have to read the follow issues, and I will because I would love to know more.

WRITING: 4 STARS

Page 3


Originality

I think the whole reincarnation angle to the story gives the story that extra push. Showing how Garrick and Dravald could be age-old enemies and going from one setting to the next is an interesting background. I could see how this storyline can run for many issues, and it could get many mini-series down the line. I think it has a nice flare.

ORIGINALITY: 3 STARS

Page 4


The Pros

The art work is beautiful, the lettering is lush, and the entire story has a dynamic storyline that wants you to continue reading to the end longing for more.

Page 5


The Cons

I think it being a vampire story may turn people away, but that is the only real criticism I think anyone would have, and some may not like the reincarnation angle.

Page 6


My Final Word

If you love vampires and broken heroes that want to get revenge, you need to check out Zero Hunters # 1. The first issue is free, and it updates here:


 The main website is here for other titles from this company and creators.


Enjoy folks!

Jake Estrada

Email me at estradajake@yahoo.com for website suggestions. Thanks.

Jake Estrada is a published author who holds degrees in Multimedia Design and Criminal Justice. He is a father to three wonderful children and married to his beautiful wife, Beth. You can find his comics at http://graphicly.com/estrada-media and other fine online stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment