Thursday, October 25, 2012

Toku 101: Kamen Rider/ Super Sentai Worlds

Hello and welcome to another Toku 101 with I, your columnist, Wheelchair21. Today on Toku 101, I'm sort of over booked so I selected very short entertaining specials from the Toku Community. That would the be the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai Worlds were specials where Riders and Senshi came together in their own universes to defeat Other Worldly threats. These specials were 3-D shorts shown in 1994 for amusement parks and special events nation-wide, there was also a third part I won't feature here but it was based on the Metal Heroes franchise. In Kamen Rider World, Zo and J teamed up to defeated the resurrected Shadowmoon and his army of undead Kaijin, while in Super Sentai World five teams of Senshi teamed together to defeat a brand new threat to the planet.

Up First, Super Sentai World:


Well anyways as viewed in that short, the current team Ninja Sentai Kakuranger appear to save two siblings from a new enemy Emperor Daidas. The brother was played Shiro Izumi, who played Yūma Ōzora in Dengeki Sentai Changeman and Burai in Zyuranger. As the Kakurangers are weakened, the other Sentai Teams from the past 4 years come to their resuce allowing them to defeat Emperor Daidas and his army. I personally enjoy this short a lot cause it had give the view a lot to take on the Sentais from the late 80s to early 90s. Along with that we actually get to see the Zyuranger/MMPR Suits team with Kakuranger/Alien suits which was a rare occasion until Gokaiger so several Power Ranger Fan usual applaude this special for that fact. Many like myself who're Ranger fans overly enjoy the Mecha battle as we see the original three Mechas used in Power Rangers Team Up; that Mecha Battle just blew my mind back when I first saw this entire special back in 2006-07. Another thing is by just viewing this as special, and not an actual canon thing you over look all the screw ups like how Gai Yuki/Black Condor is alive or how are the Zyurangers back on Earth if they ascended to Heaven in the finale. So if I had to rate this film as if it was a complete movie, I'd say a solid 4 out of 5!

Now, Kamen Rider World:


It this special/short Shadowmoon returns reviving Sai Mutant(Kamen Rider Black), Cyborg Soldier Lv 2(Shin Prologue), Agito, Garai, and Zu(Kamen Rider J) They attack Berry(Talking Grasshopper from J) and the siblings from the Super Sentai World special linking the universes. Kamen Rider ZO appears first then is soon joined by J to combat Shadowmoon's Kaijin Army, before J is forced to enlarge himself to Kaiju size to combat the monster sized Shadowmoon. Anyways this special features the reprisal of ZO, J, Shadowmoon and Berry as they're all voiced by the original actors along with reuse of footage from the preivous Kamen Rider 3-D special "Run Across the World" to flashback the Kaijins defeat. This special isn't actually too special since, well at the time I first saw this the only thing I cared about for this film was Shadowmoon, Sai Mutant and Cyborg Soldier Lv 2. I personally at the time didn't care for ZO or J too much and felt this special to be quite bland and average for Kamen Riders. The best feature of this special was battle of giants, Shadowmoon vs Kamen Rider J that was practically what made this entire special! Anytime there's titans clashing it always makes a Toku better in my opinion. Anyways my rating for this is sadly a 3.5 out of 5, for the fact the sourced Kamen Riders aren't the best ones to have been possibly used.

Conclusion
Personally the double/triple-billing of the features actually was a great idea; bringing together Sentai, Riders and Metal Heroes into a great 30-minute special. ALong with that I personally don't care for the third piece that I didn't feature for this segment as I've never actually found it subbed or know the series used for the Metal Hero segment. I only personally cared for the first two, as I've always enjoyed Super Sentai and Kamen Rider due to Power Rangers and sadly Saban's Masked Rider. Thou out of these two, 3-D specials I perfer the Super Sentai World over the Kamen Rider World as the sourced characters used in the special I'm more fond of; as the MMPR fan in me leaps for joy everytime DaiZyuJin, Dairen-Oh and Muteki Shogun are seen together. And yes I usually always go for Sentai of Kamen Riders when things head towards late 80s to early 90s since that's the dark days for the Riders, but as of late I've seemed to become a larger fan for Riders and put Sentai on the back burner pending on the collectibles. So for people out there who can't decide on which is better I then have to saw moderate with what you like and want, along enjoy the shows for what they are .... Except Goseiger, Go-Buster and Hibiki cause we know those series are just horrible! Anyways, I'll see you all again on the next Toku 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment