Wednesday, May 9, 2012

WHAT YOU & WE THOUGHT OF AVENGERS!!!!

Here are thoughts of The Avengers live action movie that has premiere this past weekend. We got stuff from fans and CBC staff so let's get down to it.


Jeremy Jones

Ever had one of those kitchen let downs? Y'know, when what's cooking smells so yummy but when you finally tuck in, it's mediocre. Not bad exactly, just not as good as it's scent set-up.
Marvel Studio's Avengers movie, released May 4th, is the exact opposite of a kitchen let down; the film was everything a fanboy could have hoped for, a veritable piece de resistance of comics-translated-to-the-big-screen movie magic. The promise made by Iron Man I&II, Thor, and Captain America movies over the last few years have herein been fulfilled.
Let's keep it to three reasons why Avengers was so satisfying. Director Joss Whedon also wrote the screenplay; the resulting singularity of creative vision makes a powerful, sturdy framework upon which to lay dynamic, toothsome special effects. The overall writing finesse and depth of characterization is brilliant and engaging.

There was no need for distracting backstory filler, often a failing of comic book movies, as the non-comic reading movie public must be brought up to speed. Avengers avoids the backstory baggage thanks to the four previous solo movies and we get right down to business; the pot is hot at the jump and the aromatic ingredients simply sizzle.

With strong acting in the mix, this trifecta of movie magic is complete. For the most part, the main characters are adroitly portrayed, with verve, and even secondary characters like Maria Hill shine. Just a bit of Samuel L. Jackson showed through Nick Fury, otherwise, only the character was on screen, the actors disappeared as they should, perfectly: you believe.
Avengers gets a well earned 9.5 of 10 stars.

If this movie was a meal, at its end you would've burped embarrassingly loudly then refused dessert.


CBC's Hector Ramirez

Avengers is the talk of the weekend and with great reasoning. Now naturally, I had to see it in imax 3D and I am glad I did. The graphics were great really worked with the 3d well. The story didn't have many holes in it. Of course, they had them quarrel amongst each other which you know fans wanted to see. When everyone starts working together, they really compliment each other well on the battlefield. The comedic element was a nice touch and catch phrases we will all be repeating for months to come. But speaking of catchphrases one very important catchphrase left unsaid: "Avengers Assemble" but due to the overall success, i'll let that slide. I will be listening for it in the sequel.  


Derrick JonesLet me start off with I really like Joss Wheadon’s television work. I was a faithful watcher of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, dollhouse, and Firefly. I can even see his hand in some of the story line as the movie plays out. Having said all that I was not the biggest fan of The Avengers movie. 

At times I feel the movie is trying to be too much to too many and falling short at every turn. It’s a buddy movie, except when it’s not, then it’s a romantic comedy (or a bromatic comedy) but then it shifts to pure eye candy action. For a movie that is just this side short of two hours and thirty minutes I felt like for the first hour and forty minutes of the movie I was in a sports car that was towed onto the street and pulled along until finally it was cut lose from the truck and allowed to hit speed. 

All the actors played their parts well Robert Downey Jr. still manages to bring an unlikeable arrogant Tony Stark to the screen and Chris Evans, who annoyed the hell out of me in the Fantastic Four films, plays a really believable man out of time Captain America. For me however the runaway star of the movie is Mark Ruffalo as the third and best Bruce Banner. While I am familiar with the comic version of the Black Widow I would not mind seeing her in her own movie, but again I have to give props to Josh Wheadon (yeah Scarlett also ) for the writing of a female character that is not all victim or pure fem fatale bitch. In the end I would give this movie 3 out of 5 stars.


CBC's Darryll "YTC" Carter

Aside from my sister somewhat ruining the end of the movie for me (that's why I don't go out with familly) Joss Whedon pulled it off. And I'm glad he did though. I, myself, didn't walk away with the experience I was expecting the rest of the world seems to think I should have and would have if my sister wasn't present. That being said I feel like the movie was too Stark and Widow heavy. I expected the movie to focus on Downey and Iron Man a bit heavily and while it wasn't outlandish it was noticable to me. Alot of people disagree with me, saying "No way man it was the Hulk" or "naw, it was Thor". I'm speaking more so about screentime not who got the most badass moment. But speaking of badass moments I felt like Black Widow did more in the film than Captain America. And that bothers me. Cap bias aside, he is Captain fing America the leader. He did shine as a leader though once everyone began to cooperate, namely Stark and Thor and surprisingly the Hulk. Though I wager there isn't much for the Hulk to complain about when his orders are "Hulk.... Smash." Priceless.


J1 Studios' Brian Misher

Just saw with some friends this morning. ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY AWESOME!!! I will be seeing this twice!

Christian Prokop aka Mildra the RPG Monk


Saw Avengers the other day. The monk approves.


Deandra McFadden

  Omg! I love this movie. If you haven't seen this movie, go watch it now.


CBC's Frankie Rodriguez 

   This movie is beyond Epic. Beyond Awesome. This movie is exactly what it needs to be: Well paced, great characterizations and mind-breaking battles. This movie proves all the build up of the Marvel Movies continuity works and works well. And all the characters were very well balanced in this movie. No one over-shines anyone else in the film, in my opinion. 

   There are more than enough memorable moments, the pacing is excellent and the characters are all distinct and fleshed out well. Captain America is a god! And honestly, Mark Ruffalo is the best  Bruce Banner ever to hit a screen, tv or movie. Such a multi-layered portrayal and the movie was just full of Whedon full but not overly full of pop-culture references. Kids will love it. Adults will love it. Just ... amazing work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment